Research activities focus on measurements of the Earth’s physical quantities, such as the speed of seismic waves within it, its electrical properties, gravity, the magnetic field, physical radioactivity, etc. The goal is always to explore the interior of the Earth, whether the research is carried out on a scale of lithosphere, or only a few meters.
Why study this topic? The challenges
Geophysics deals with the study of the physical processes and properties of the Earth. Although in the broadest sense its scope may include not only the “solid” Earth but also its atmosphere, the term of “Geophysics” has prevailed internationally to be identified with the “Solid Earth Geophysics” or the Physics of the Earth’s interior. While many findings of basic geophysical research, derived from the study of the structure and composition of the Earth’s core and mantle, the source and origin of the geomagnetic field or geothermal changes, are absolutely crucial to understanding how the Earth evolved and are of great theoretical interest, the branch of Geophysics that is of great practical interest is that of Applied Geophysics. This sub-discipline deals with the detection and delineation of structures of economic importance with main applications in the discovery of oil and gas deposits, ores, geothermal fields and aquifers. Extensive application is also made in the characterization of foundation soil, in the detection of active faults but also in geoarchaeological surveys.
Our key research activities
- Seismic refraction / reflection – Seismic tomography
- Geoelectric tomography – Georadar
- Geophysical drilling methods, crosshole, downhole checks, tomography between drilling using seismic methods and georadar, etc.
- Measurements of Gravity and Magnetic field of the Earth
- Electromagnetic methods
- Radiometry – Study of Natural radiation, soil radon concentration measurements
Solid Earth Physics
- Structure of the Earth’s crust and mantle
- Heat of the Inner Earth
- Seismic wave attenuation
- Distribution of seismic waves velocities
- Seismic tomography and calculation of earthquake parameters
Our operational activities, infrastructure and services
- Geoelectric surveys with corresponding equipment / seismic reflection-refraction
- Georadar (GPR)
- Gravity studies
- Iris Syscal-Pro type geoelectric tomographs
- Network of magnetometers
- Dam foundation studies, identification of active fault zones
- Microzonation studies
- Investigations of geothermal fields
- Locating subsurface antiquities
- Non-destructive testing on concrete
- Mineral and ore exploration
- Solving hydrogeological problems
For more information see here.