Papers in International Journals (1999-2002)
1. Baskoutas, I., Kalogeras, I.S., Kourouzidis, M. and Panopoulou G. A modern technique for the retrieval and processing of historical seismograms in Greece. Natural Hazards, pgs. 55-64, vol. 21, 2000.
2. Baskoutas I, Panopoulou, G., and Th. Rontoyanni. Seismic attenuation in two geological distinct regions of central Greece. Bolletino Geof. Theor. Applicata, pgs. 233-242, vol. 41 (3), 2000.
3. Baumont, D., Courboulex, F., Scotti, O., Melis, N.S. and Stavrakakis, G.N. Slip distribution of the Mw 5.9, 1999 Athens earthquake inverted from regional seismological data. Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29(15), (10.1029/2001GL014261), 2002.
4. Benedetti L., Finkel R., Papanastassiou D., King G., Armijo R., Ryerson F., Farber D. and F. Flerit. Post-glacial slip history of the Sparta fault (Greece) determined by 36Cl cosmogenic dating: Evidence for non-periodic earthquakes. Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, 2002.
5. Benetatos, Ch., Roumelioti, Z., Kiratzi, A. and Melis, N. Source parameters of the M 6.5 Skyros island (North Aegean Sea) earthquake of July 26, 2001. Annali di Geofisica, pgs. 513-526, vol. 45, 2002.
6. Bouckovalas, G.D., Kouretzis, G., Kalogeras, I. Site-specific analysis of strong motion data from the September 7, 1999 Athens Greece earthquake. Natural Hazards, pgs. 105-131, vol. 27, 2002.
7. Chouliaras, G. and Stavrakakis, G. Current seismic quiescence in Greece; Implications for earthquake prediction research. Journal of Seismology, pgs. 595-608, vol. 5, 2001.
8. Clement, Ch., Hirn A,, Charvis P., Sachpazi M., and Marnelis F. Seismic structure and the active Hellenic subduction in the Ionian islands. Tectonophysics, pgs.141-156, vol. 329, 2000.
9. Cundy A. B., S. Kortekaas, T. Dewez, I. S. Stewart, I. W. Croudace, H. Maroukian, D. Papanastasiou, P. Gaki-Papanastasiou, K. Pavlopoulos, A. Dawson. Coastal wetlands as recorders of earthquake subsidence in the Aegean. A case study of the 1894 Gulf of Atalanti earthquakes, central Greece. Marine Geology, pgs.3-26, vol. 170, 2000.
10. Delibasis, N., Ziazia, M., Voulgaris, N., Papadopoulos, T., Stavrakakis, G., Papanastassiou, D. and G. Drakatos. Microseismic Activity and Seismotectonics of Heraklion Area (central Crete Island, Greece). Tectonophysics, pgs. 237-248, vol. 308, 1999.
11. Dimitriu, P., Kalogeras, I. and Theodulidis. N. Evidence of nonlinear site response in HVSR from near field earthquakes. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, pgs. 423-436, vol. 18 (6), 1999.
12. Dominey-Howes, D.T.M., Papadopoulos, G.A., & Dawson, A.G. Geological and historical investigation of the 1650 Mt. Columbo (Thera Island) eruption and tsunami, Aegean Sea, Greece. Natural Hazards, pgs. 83-96, vol. 21, 2000.
13. Drakatos G., Melis N., Papanastassiou D., Karastathis V., Papadopoulos G. and G. Stavrakakis. 3-D crustal velocity structure from inversion of local earthquake data in Attiki (Central Greece) region. Natural Hazards, pgs. 1-14, vol. 27, 2002.
14. Drakatos, G. and J. Latoussakis. A catalog of Aftershock Sequences in Greece (1971-1997)-Their Spatial and Temporal Characteristics. Journal of Seismology, pgs. 137-145, vol. 5, 2001.
15. Drakatos, G. Relative seismic quiescence before large aftershocks. PAGEOPH, pgs. 1407 - 1421, vol. 157, 2000.
16. Galanis, O.Ch., T. M. Tsapanos, G.A. Papadopoulos, and A.A. Kiratzi. Bayesian extreme values distribution for seismicity parameters assessment in South America , Balkan Geophys. J. , pgs. 77-86, vol. 5, 2002.
17. Gallart J., Driad L., Charvis Ph., Sapin M., Hirn A., Diaz J., de Voogd, B., and Sachpazi M. Perturbation to the lithosphere along the hotspot track of La Reunion, from an offshore-onshore seismic transect. J. Geophys. Res., pgs. 2895-2908, 1999.
18. Ganas, A., Lagios, E., and Tzanettos, N. An investigation on the spatial accuracy of the IKONOS 2 orthoimagery within an urban environment. International Journal of Remote Sensing, pgs. 3513-3519, vol. 23 (17), 2002.
19. Ganas, A., G.A. Papadopoulos and S.B. Pavlides. The 7 September 1999 Athens 5.9Ms earthquake: remote sensing and digital elevation model inputs towards identifying the seismic fault . Int. J. Remote Sensing, pgs. 191-196, vol. 22, 2001.
20. Ganas, A., and Papoulia, I. High-resolution Digital Mapping of the Seismic Hazard within the Gulf of Evia rift, Eastern Central Greece using normal fault segments as line sources. Natural Hazards, pgs. 203-223, vol. 22, 2000.
21. Ganas, A., and Athanassiou, E., 2000. A comparative study on the production of satellite orthoimagery for geological remote sensing. GeoCarto International, pgs. 51-59, vol. 15 (2), 2000.
22. Jones, R.E., B.S.J. Isserlin, V. Karastathis, S. P. Papamarinopoulos, Syrides G.E, Uren J., Balatsas I., Kapopoulos Ch.. Maniatis Y and G Facorellis (2000). Exploration of the Canal of Xerxes, Northern Greece: the Role of geophysical and other techniques. Archaeological Prospection, pgs. 147-170, vol. 7, 2000.
23. Kalogeras, I.S. A strong motion database in Greece. Natural Hazards, pgs. 265-277, vol. 26, 2002.
24. Kalogeras, I.S, Stavrakakis, G.N. and Solomi, K. The October 9th, 1996 earthquake in Cyprus: Seismological, macroseismic and strong motion data. Annalli di Geofisica, pgs. 85-98, vol. 42 (1), 1999.
25. Karastathis, V.K., Karmis, P.N., Drakatos, G. and G. Stavrakakis. Geophysical methods contributing to the testing of concrete dams. Application of the Marathon Dam. J. Appl. Geophysics, pgs 247 - 260, vol. 50, 2002.
26. Karastathis, V.K., Karmis, P.N., Drakatos, G. and G. Stavrakakis. Assessment of the dynamic properties of highly saturated concrete using one-sided Acoustic Tomography. Application in the Marathon Dam. Construction and Building Materials, pgs 261 - 269, vol. 16, 2002.
27. Karastathis, V.K., Papamarinopoulos S, Jones RE. 2-D Velocity structure of the buried ancient canal of Xerxes: an application of seismic methods in archaeology. Journal of Applied Geophysics, pgs. 29-43, vol. 47/1, 2001.
28. Karastathis, V. K., Louis J. F., Arvanitis M., and Karmis P. Application of inverse ray-tracing seismic modeling techniques in the Ikaria Airport site. Journal of the Balkan Geophysical Society, pgs. 107-114, vol. 5(4), 2002.
29. Kontoes, C, Briole P., Sachpazi M., Veis G., Elias P., Sykioti, O., Remy D., & Kotsis I., 2000. Displacement field and fault model for the September 7, 1999 Athens earthquake inferred from ERS2 satellite radar Interferometry. Geophys. Res. Letters, p. 3989, vol. 27, No. 24, 2000.
30. Kornichev Y. F., Baskoutas I., and I. N. Sokolova. Pairs of large earthquakes and geodynamic processes in region of central South Asia. Volcanology and Seismology, pgs.49-58, vol. 5, 2002.
31. Laigle, M., Hirn A., Sachpazi M., & Clement, C. Seismic coupling and structure of the Hellenic subduction zone in the Ionian Islands region. Earth and Planetary Sciences Letters, pgs. 243-253, vol. 200, 2002.
32. Laigle M., Hirn A., Sachpazi M., and Roussos N. North Aegean crustal deformation: an active fault imaged to 10 km depth by reflection seismics. Geology, pgs 71-74, vol. 28 (1), 2000.
33. Lekidis, V.A., Karakostas, C.Z., Dimitriu, P.P., Margaris, B.N., Kalogeras, I.S. and Theodulidis, N. The Aigio (Greece) seismic sequence of June 1995: Seismological, strong motion data and effects of the earthquakes on structures. Journal Earthquake Engineering, pgs. 349-380, vol. 3(3), 1999.
34. Louis J, Karastathis V., Vafidis A. and Louis F. Resistivity Modeling and Imaging Methods for Mapping Near-Surface Features: Application to a Site Characterization at the Ancient Temple of Olympian Zeus in Athens. Journal of the Balkan Geophysical Society, pgs. 135-144, vol. 5(4), 2002.
35. Makaris, D. I., Theodulidis, N. P. and Stavrakakis G. N. Estimation of Strong Ground Motion Due to Hypothetical Fault Ruptures and Comparison with Recorded Values: The Zakynthos, Western Greece Earthquake of 18 November 1997. Natural Hazards, pgs. 297-315, vol. 21, 2000.
36. Maroukian H., Gaki-Papanastassiou K., Papanastassiou D. and N. Palyvos. Geomorphological Observations in the Coastal Zone of Kyllini Peninsula, NW Peloponnesus-Greece, and their Relation to the Seismotectonic Regime of the Area. Journal of Coastal Research, pgs. 853-863, vol. 16/3, 2000.
37. Maroukian, H., Papanastassiou, D. & K. Gaki-Papanastassiou. Palaeogeographic Evolution and Seismotectonic Implications of the Broader Area of Eurotas River (Greece) during the Quaternary. "Ζeischrift fur Geomorphology", Suppl.-Bd., pgs.135-146, vol. 118, 1999.
38. Matsumoto, H., Papadopoulos, G.A., & Ganas, A. Re-examination of the unexpected earthquake of 7 September 1999 in Athens, Greece. Research Reports on Earthquake Engineering No 82, Tokyo Institute of Technology, pgs. 1-17, 2002.
39. Minoura, K., Imamoura, F., Kuran, U., Nakamura, T., Papadopoulos, G.A., Takahashi, T., Yalciner, A.C. Discovery of Minoan tsunami deposits. Geology, pgs. 59-62, vol. 28(1), 2000.
40. Pantosti, D., De Martini P., Papanastassiou D., Palyvos N., Lemeille F. and G. Stavrakakis. A reappraisal of the 1894 Atalanti earthquake ruptures, Central Greece. Bull. Seism. Soc. America, pgs. 760-780, vol. 91/4, 2001.
41. Papadopoulos, G.A. The Athens , Greece , Earthquake (Ms5.9) of 7 September 1999: An Event Triggered by the Izmit , Turkey , 17 August 1999 Earthquake? Bulletin Seismological Society America, pgs. 312- 321, vol. 92, 2002.
42. Papadopoulos, G., Ganas, A., and Plessa, A. The Skyros earthquake (Mw6.5) of 26 July 2001 and precursory seismicity patterns in the North Aegean Sea. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, pgs. 1141-1145, vol. 92 (30), 2002.
43. Papadopoulos, G., Ganas, A., and Pavlides, S. The problem of seismic potential assessment: Case study of the unexpected earthquake of 7 September 1999 in Athens, Greece. Earth Planets Space, pgs. 9-18, vol. 54, 2002.
44. Papadopoulos, G.A., G. Drakatos, D. Papanastassiou, I. Kalogeras and G. Stavrakakis. Preliminary results about the catastrophic earthquake of 7 September 1999 in Athens, Greece. Seismological Research Letters, pgs. 318-329, vol. 71, 2001.
45. Papadopoulos, G.A., G. Drakatos, D. Papanastassiou, I. Kalogeras and G.Stavrakakis. Preliminary results about the catastrophic earthquake of 7 September 1999 in Athens, Greece: Erratum. Seismological Research Letters, pgs. 72-73, vol. 71(4), 2001.
46. Papadopoulos, G., Drakatos, G. and A. Plessa. Foreshock activity as a precursor of strong earthquakes in Corinth Gulf, Central Greece. Phys. Chem. Earth, pgs 239 - 245, vol. 25 (3), 2000.
47. Papadopoulos, G.A., and Plessa A. Magnitude-distance relations for earthquake-induced landslides in Greece. Eng. Geology, pgs. 377- 386, vol. 58, 2000.
48. Papanastassiou, D. Seismic Hazard Assessment in the Area of Mystras-Sparta, south Peloponnesus, Greece, based on local Seismotectonic, Seismic, Geologic information and on different models of rupture propagation. Natural Hazards, pgs. 237-251, vol. 18, 1999.
49. Papoulia, J., Stavrakakis, G., Papanikolaou, D. Bayesian prediction of strong earthquakes in the Inner Messiniakos fault zone, southern Greece, based on seismological and geological data. Journal of Seismology, pgs. 233-242, vol. 5, 2001.
50. Parcharidis I., Serelis, K., Nikolakopoulos K., & Baskoutas, I. Synergistic use of optical and radar satellite data for active faults and corresponding displaced landforms detection in Kozani basin (Greece). Geocarto International, pgs. 17-24, vol. 16(3), 2001.
51. Pavlides, S. B., Papadopoulos , G., and Ganas, A. The fault that caused the Athens September 1999 Ms=5.9 earthquake: field observations. Natural Hazards, pgs. 61-85, vol. 27(1-2), 2002
52. Perissoratis, C. and G. Papadopoulos. Sediment instability and slumping in the southern Aegean Sea and the case history of the 1956 tsunami. Marine Geology, vol. 161, pgs. 287-305, 1999.
53. Pham V.N., D. Boyer, G. Chouliaras, A. Savaidis, G. Stavrakakis, J.L. Le Mouel. Sources of anomalous transient electric signals (ATESs) in the ULF band in the Lamia region (central Greece) : electrochemical mechanisms for their generation. Phys. Earth Planet. Inter., pgs. 209-233, vol. 130, 2002.
54. Pham, V.N., Bernard, P., Boyer, D., Chouliaras, G., Le Mouel, J.,L. and G.N. Stavrakakis. Electrical conductivity and structure beneath the Central Hellenides around the Gulf of Corinth (Greece) and their relationship with seismotectonics. Geophys. J. Int., pgs. 948-969, vol. 142, 2001.
55. Pham, V.N., Boyer, D., Le Mouel, J.L., Chouliaras, G. and G.N. Stavrakakis. Electromagnetic signals generated in the solid Earth by digital transmission of radio-waves as a plausible source for some so-called ²Seismic Elastic Signals² (SES). Physics Earth and Planetary Interiors, pgs. 141-163, vol. 114, 1999.
56. Ranguelov, B., Van Ect, T., Papadopoulos, G., Pavlides, S., Shanov, S., & Schenk, V. Ιnitial data for the magnitude reevaluation of the strong earthquakes during 1904 in Kresna- Kroupnik zone (SW Bulgaria). Reports on Geodesy - Warsaw Univ. of Technology, pgs. 51 - 55, vol. 4, 2000.
57. Ranguelov, B., A. Kies , G.A. Papadopoulos, S. Pavlides and S. Shanov. The Kresna-Kroupnik active seismogenic zone - a model of a geodynamic machine. Cahiers du Centre Europeen Geodynamique et de Seismologie, pgs. 125-128, vol. 18, 2001.
58. Roberts, G. P. and Ganas, A. Fault-slip directions in central and southern Greece measured from striated and corrugated fault planes: Comparison with focal mechanism and geodetic data. Journal of Geophysical Research, pgs. 23443-23462, vol. 105 (B10), 2000.
59. Sachpazi M., Kontoes Ch.,Voulgaris N., Laigle M., Lepine J. Cl., Sikioti O., Baskoutas I., Kalogeras I., and G. Stavrakakis. Seismological and INSAR signature of unrest at Nissyros caldera, Greece. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, pgs. 19-33, vol. 116, 2002.
60. Sachpazi M., Hirn A., Clement C., Haslinger F., Kissling E., and Charvis P. Western Hellenic Subduction and Cephalonia Transform: Local Earthquakes and Plate Transport Strain. Tectonophysics, pgs. 301-319, vol. 319, 2000.
61. Stavrakakis, G.N., Chouliaras, G. and Panopoulou, G. Seismic source parameters for the Athens earthquake on September 7, 1999, from a new telemetric broad band seismological network in Greece. Natural Hazards, pgs. 47-60, vol. 27, 2002.
62. Tassos, S.T. Excess Mass Stress Tectonics (EMST): An outline of the Hypothesis. Himalayan Geology, pgs. 117-132, vol. 22 (1). 2001.
63. Tassos, S. The Role of Micro-fractures in the Excess mass Stress Tectonics (EMST) Model. Geology of Pacific Ocean, pgs. 74-84 vol. 21(2), (Russian Edition), 2002.
64. Telesca, L., Cuomo, V., Lapenna, V., Vallianatos, F. and G. Drakatos. Analysis of the temporal properties of Greek aftershock sequences. Tectonophysics, pgs. 163-178, vol. 341, 2001.
65. Van der Lee, S., F. Marone, M. van der Meijde, D. Giardini, A. Deschamps, C. Chiarabba, L. Margheriti, P. Burkett, S.C. Solomon, P.M. Alves, M. Chouliaras, A. Abdurazzag, E. Abdunnur, S.H. Gasut, M. Herak, R. Ortiz, J.M. Davila, A. Ugalde, J. Villa, K. Yelles. Eurasia-Africa Plate Boundary Region Yields New Seismographic Data. EOS, pgs. 637-646, vol. 82 (51), 2001.